FRED – FAMILIES READING EVERYDAY
General aims of these sessions:
To encourage parents to engage with their children’s emerging literacy and to develop the habit of reading regularly with their children.
Week 1 – Topics and Activities
- Introduction and brief overview for parents
Why reading with your child so important?
- Enjoying a good story! Tutor invites parents to get comfortable and listen to a story together!
- Choosing a book for your child: What makes a ‘good book’ for children?
- Parents choose a book for their child which they take home. They can also take and use a reading-log if this would be motivating for them
Week 2 – Topics and Activities
- Parents share their experiences: Feedback from parents on their chosen books
- Tips and demonstration on how to read with your child
- Talking about books and developing ‘book talk’ with children
- Parents choose and take home another book and use some of the ‘book talk’ ideas with their child
Week 3 – Topics and Activities
- Children could join parents for some of this session and get involved choosing their own book.
- Parents and children could give feedback from previous book
- Hands-on-Activity: Making a book together. Parents and children read together and listen to their stories.
- Parents get a copy of websites they can look at before the next session
Week 4 – Topics and Activities
- Parents choose final book
- How best to help reluctant and struggling readers
Tips Handout (from dyslexia action website http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/)
- Practical ideas to encourage family reading habits:
- Online resources: Interesting websites and You Tube clips
- Creating a positive reading environment at home
- Joining your local library
- Parents look at library website and do short related activity (possible library visit)
- Parent’s Exit Questionnaire and Evaluation